Despite the improvement of the political and security situation since mid-2013, security situation is still volatile in Northern Mali with conflict between armed groups and government, heavy presence of IED and tensions between communities, hampering humanitarian access in some areas. Persistent insecurity combined with a poor agricultural and pastoral season in 2013/2014, high level of food prices and a low off-season crops production, led to a critical food security situation in 2014: 3,7 million people were estimated in moderate and severe food insecurity in March 2014, including 1,5 million in immediate need of food assistance. Food insecurity situation is likely to worsen in the coming months if assistance is not provided on time, with a forecast of 1.9 million people in June 2014 in need of food assistance. In addition, almost 280,000 people were still displaced including 137,096 IDPs (source: IOM) and 141,274 refugees (source: UNHCR).
- Capital - Bamako
- Population - 11,008,518
- Time Zone - GMT +00:00
- Currency - CFA Franc BCEAO (XOF)
Assessments & Surveys
- “STAYING A LITTLE LONGER – Malian Refugees in Mauritania”, the UNCHR/WFP Joint Assessment Mission report conducted in May 2013
- Evaluation des effets de la crise alimentaire sur le marché des céréales au Mali (Février 2012)
- ACAPS Disaster Needs Analysis Mali - March 2012
- Analyse des besoins chez les ménages déplacés (Gao et Ansongo) - ACF (Fevrier 2012)
Bulletins & Updates
- NOTE SYNHESE SUR LA SITUATION PASTORALE DANS LA ZONE TRANSFRONTALIERE MALI/NIGER/BURKINA FASO
- la Note conjointe sur la sécurité alimentaire et les implications humanitaires en Afrique de l’Ouest et au Sahel pour les mois d’Avril et Mai 2013.
- Updated Humanitarian Snapshot as of 16th January 2013 (English version)
- Updated Humanitarian Snapshot as of 16th January 2013 (French version)
- Mali Humanitarian Bulletin # 4 in English.